What is Google Panda and Penguin?
Google Panda and Penguin are latest changes in Google Search Algorithm to penalize sites with low quality content (Panda) and to penalize sites indulged in keyword stuffing, low quality back links etc (Penguin)
How it affects Indian ecommerce sites?
- Most Indian ecommerce sites have similar product catalogs with same product descriptions (Panda Penalty Risk)
- Most sites are indulged in keyword stuffing to get some unique content as there is hardly any quality user generated content (Penguin Penalty Risk)
- Based on Reviews42 research, most ecommerce sites are observing 10% to 70% drop in their Google Traffic. It will further increase their already high customer acquisition costs.
What can Ecommerce Sites do?
1. Focus on Product Catalogue:
- Differentiate your product catalogue with organized, original and compare-ready content
- Don’t dump the content blindly from manufacturer’s website or competitor’s websites or generic sources
2. Focus on User Generated Reviews:
- Engage your users to participate in writing reviews
- Make it fun, easy and meaningful for users to share their product experiences